Monday, November 25, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving!



After a week of rain – rain - rain the sun came back in full force today. I was reading Spencer’s email about wearing coats and gloves and then Meg's about a river of sweat running down her back... my life is definitely more like Meg's – a river of sweat. We are always wet.  If it is not sweat, it is rain. 

Well, transfers came and went. I can’t believe I am in the last month and last transfer of my mission! Where did the time go? My great friend and companion Sister B got transferred to the zone that is furthest south part in our mission and I am currently in the most northern zone. So we are far from one another and I miss her dearly. But my new companion is just as wonderful; Sister Pal from Tarlac, Philippines. I am grateful that I get to speak all Tagalog in my last transfer... I know that if I had an American companion I would be talking a lot more tag-lish.


 

We have 8 exchanges with the other sisters in our area to cram into a 3.5 week time span. Poor sister Pal also has to somehow learn our area in the few days that we will actually be here. She seems to be a fast learner. We have been walking everywhere so that she can memorize where to go.  

Happy thanksgiving! I was looking through my old journal and last year I wrote a list of 100 things that I am grateful for... I split it into 10 categories. 10 people I was grateful for; 10 foods; 10 places; 10 memories with my family; 10 things that have made me stronger; 10 friends; 10 places in nature; 10 scriptures; and 10 things that make me smile.  I am going to do that again this year. It was interesting to see the things and people that I was grateful for at that time in my mission. Something I have come to realize this week is that I am much more grateful when I take the time to write down my blessings. Even on the mission it seems to be easy to get into a routine that I forget to notice the miracles of each day.  


 This Beautiful Land

In my journal a year ago I wrote that a giant spider came into our apartment in Ligao and I became a spider catcher.  History has repeated itself and a giant spider once again wandered into our apartment...I am now a professional killer of spiders of unusual size.  

This last week we were visiting an investigator whose husband is a member but works on a boat and only comes home twice a year.  This woman grew up with a Book of Mormon in her home because her father is a pastor and enjoyed having conversations with the Mormon missionaries. This week we talked about the Plan of Salvation with this kind sister. Before we left she explained how she is an active catholic, but that she always lets us in because there is more she wants to know. She told us to keep coming. I know that this interest she has is because she can feel a difference. It’s that light that comes from the knowledge we gain from the gospel.  


Filipino Basketball Hoop


Moroni tells us something it is easy to take for granted: (7:16) 

For behold, the aSpirit of Christ is given to every bman, that he may cknow good from evil; wherefore, I show unto you the way to judge; for every thing which inviteth to do good, and to persuade to believe in Christ, is sent forth by the power and gift of Christ; wherefore ye may know with a perfect knowledge it is of God.

Wherefore, I beseech of you, brethren, that ye should search diligently in the alight of Christ that ye may know good from evil; and if ye will lay hold upon every good thing, and condemn it not, ye certainly will be a bchild of Christ.

I know that this light is what leads us along through the darkness. Every day as we walk people stare and point at me because I am white. The teenage boys and the old men all yell out things that are honestly annoying and often inappropriate.  But, every once in a while as we walk past people will whisper "Mormons." These people are my favorites.  I feel overwhelmingly proud to be a Mormon missionary and try to always turn around and talk to these people. When I hear the annoying and inappropriate comments, I try remembering that I am a representative of the Savior. The church is not well known here as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. People only know us as Mormons.  We try to introduce ourselves using the full name of the church so that they hear Christ’s name.  



Bug, congrats on all you have accomplished this year - for being the most amazing homecoming queen / gorgeous person inside and outside and for the State-wide soccer recognition! 

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! 

P.S. Carli - You are the most beautiful bride! I am so happy for you and wish you both the best!!! 

Count your blessings. I am grateful for all of you! Have a wonderful week.  

Love from the pines,

Sister Meish


Typhoon Damage Here - Lucky Us

No comments:

Post a Comment