Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Banana Leaf Roofs



Maray na hapon po! How is everyone doing in SLC? We had another wonderful week here in the land of sun.  Literally, it is a very sunny land. I have never been so hot in my life but we are almost to the rainy season so we just have to endure a few more weeks. 

We were in Naga for a day this week because we are half way through our training and we had a workshop with President.  It was wonderful. We talked about the Doctrine of Christ (Faith, Repentance, Baptism) and the importance of inviting people to come unto Christ through Baptism.  Over the last several months I have gained an appreciation for baptism and the role it plays in our life.  It is that first step, that first jump of faith that shows God we trust him and are willing to follow up. It also opens the door that leads to the temple.  But it really is AFTER baptism that we become members through our endurance and consistent day by day actions.

Last night we sat under several coconut trees and taught a lesson about the Gospel of Christ to a family that we are working with.  When I first got to Goa the mother of this family was already being taught.  She and her husband had been taught previously but then for some reason the lessons stopped.  Over the last several months it has been miraculous to see this woman begin to understand the gospel. It has been a slower process with her children but they are beginning to understand as well. She and two of her sons have a baptismal goal date for June and for the first time her 18 year old son came to church yesterday.  Her oldest son seems very interested in missions and what is required to be able to serve a mission.  He sat by Crisanto during Sunday school. As it turns out they know each other from back in the day when Cris ran around with a different crowd. 


I have been thinking about the trials we need to go through and perhaps even required to go through to achieve the exaltation we read about in the scriptures.  One of our Investigators is trying to save money so she can get married and she can get baptized.  The other night it was raining very hard and their roof, of banana leaves has so many holes in it the kids woke up soaking wet.  She and her spouse want to get married but with the rainy season they also need to pay to get a new roof.  It is so difficult for me to know how to direct them. She wants to follow Gods plan but is inhibited by temporal things.  I have been praying and praying for understanding of what more could be done.  This sweet sister reads everything we give her; she was reciting the story of Nehor to us.  She knows this is the truth but yet she cannot take that step of faith or show her love for God, at least not in the way of baptism.  Not yet. Clear answers as to why this obstacle is in front of her did not come to me; not perfectly.  But as I kneeled on the cold cement floor in our upstairs bedroom of our apartment I finally found peace.  A calm reassurance came over me that this is what the Atonement does.  It heals and perfects. I know that my redeemer lives. I believe in his Atonement.  I understood a little more that Christ's atonement will help me in my imperfections, just as it will help this kind woman overcome anything unfair or unjust in this life. Mom wrote me once and said, “I believe and that propels me along.” Me too mom.  I believe.  I believe that this gospel is the thing that will bring comfort and peace to my dear friend in a way that no perfectly secured roofing job ever could. But they also need a roof. I believe that this is truly is the plan of happiness because we find happiness that exceeds the value of mansions and earthly success.  I

Have a great last week of school! I love you all! I love this work. I love the wonderful people here that I get to meet each day.  I love that it is a full moon this week and above all I love my Savior Jesus Christ!


Mahal na mahal ko kayo

Sister Meish

Ps – thanks aunt chari for the wonderful package!! The cliff bars are amazing!!! You are sweet to think of me. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment