Monday, May 13, 2013

Turkey Sandwiches


Happy Mother’s Day to my loving nanay! We sat in stake conference yesterday and listened to each of the speakers pay tribute to their mom or their wife.  I felt such gratitude in my heart for my own mommy Chris.  For the thousands of dinners that were hot and ready for me on the stove; for the dance recitals that you would attend; and even more practices you would shuttle back and forth to; I am grateful for the late night chats and for the hundreds of time you would rub my back and give me good advice.  And I am so grateful for your example and encouragement to go on a mission.  I am so grateful to live in my beloved Philippines as a representative of my Savior and I just want to thank you for who you are because that is how I know who I want to be. 


Being able to Skype my WHOLE family was the greatest blessing in the world.  Thank goodness for modern technology.  It is quite miraculous that people in the Philippines, Mexico, the Dominican Republic and the USA can all see one another at the same moment.  That was the cherry on top of an already great weekend filled with a package of chocolate covered almonds and an endless supply of gum! Thanks for the package!

We had a busy week, which is normal in mission world.  The couple missionaries brought the items to stock our new house… there will be 6 sisters in our house starting in June. So on Saturday we spent the morning putting together bunk beds and study tables and bookshelves. 

We were teaching the Candelarias about the Plan of Salvation this week.  As we walk around each day we pass hundreds of people.  Men are standing on the side of the road with their shirts half way pulled up - just standing and watching the world go by.  Women are in the fish market gutting Tilapia.  Little children eat ice cream from the man that just passed by with his push cart.  I watch them and think ‘they need what we have.’ Do they know why they are here? As we were teaching at the Canderlaria’s we asked why we are here and why we were given free agency.  Cris replied and said that we have to choose if we are going to follow God.  I thought how profound this was coming from a boy who literally made a leap of faith to follow God and change his entire life.  He is converted to the gospel because of the truth and the light he feels in his life.  He said the opening prayer in stake conference and is literally counting down the days until he can go on his mission. 


I have been thinking a lot about prayer this week - how when we pray we are communicating with the God of all the earth and how even though I am so small he still listens.  Each night as we walk back home I have formed a habit of walking with my eyes towards the millions of twinkling lights billions of light years away.  I feel such a sense of peace as I think of the grandeur of God and yet the control he has and the power available to us through one small prayer.  I believe that prayer truly does make a difference in who we are and in the way we know our father. 

Fun facts of the Pines: there are giant wild turkeys that have decided to strut up and down our street at 5:30 am each morning.  I never knew how incredibly loud the gobble of a turkey was until now.  I am contemplating making turkey sandwhiches.  However, I fear that they might have large talons.  Also last Monday we made no bake cookies - they have to be no bake since we do not have an oven, just a small toaster oven. They were very tasty.  This week we went for homemade guacamole, another triumphant success.  We are 2 for 2 on making creative food! Well I love you all thanks for your love and support!


Kit! Your wedding looked beautiful, thanks for holding my picture at the temple! Glad I could make it.  I actually got your wedding invite on Friday morning and it was a fun reminder of my bestie on her special day.  All the pics looks super cute!

Mahal ko kayo!

Sister C.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment