Monday, September 30, 2013

Sipocot



Hey family!

First off BUG, you are beautiful. I was thrilled to hear about your week I think you are the most beautiful homecoming queen in all-the-world; but not just because you are gorgeous. I think this mostly because you are loving and kind and humble and good. That goodness is what draws people to you and makes them love you. I love you my dear.

 
Tuesday morning we were up and out the door by 5am. Chilled water and a bucket shower take your breath away in the mornings before the sun comes up. We were off to the bus stop and then traveled the winding "Road from Daet" for 2.5 hrs before arriving in Sipocot for exchanges. Sipocot is a small town that basically consists of one main street and that’s about it. We were with sister Abarabar and Purcell. It is fun to see my old companion. I worked with Sister Purcell. She is from America Samoa and has been here for almost 6 weeks. I really love being able to work with all these new missionaries. They are so full of faith and the light of Christ. They consistently remind me of why we are here and I am inspired by their strong testimonies. It is amazing to me that the spirit is a universal language. Even without being fluent in Tagalog, the spirit speaks with such strength. I know that is why the Lord has trusted 18 and 19 (and 23) year olds with his message; because it really isn’t us. We are just the mouth that delivers the words and the spirit is the one who provides the power. It was neat to visit with one family that the sisters are teaching who are preparing for baptism. The father has many tattoos and many physical scars from a life he lived without the gospel. His brother, mother and wife are all listening to the missionaries. He and his wife have to get married before they can be baptized and like Meg mentioned in her letter, marriage is very, very difficult here. One reason is that it is expensive. But another huge problem is that divorce is illegal so if they had a spouse before who is still living, it is nearly impossible for them to get married. But of course we know nothing is completely impossible, not to the Lord. This kind man bore a strong testimony of Joseph Smith and then his gratitude for missionary work. There truly are souls being prepared to hear this message.

We are in "BER -months" now which means it will be scorching hot in the morning and then cold and pouring rain by evening. We come home soaked and muddy most nights. In the pines you need two different tooth brushes, one for your teeth and one to use in the shower to scrub the dirt off your toes.




I realize my dear male cousins and brother are better at food updates than I am, so in honor of them... mga updates tungkol sa pagkain! I ate shark this week. It was good; really chewy. Everyone is so nice here and we get fed way too much. The former Stake President is in our ward and we have dinner at their home every Friday night. This last Friday she didn’t have time to cook so she bought pizza... she kept apologizing... haha we were all loving it. Pizza is a rare and pricey treat. We had our district activity this morning and went to Bagasbas beach and played games and then ate at this sea side restaurant that is super cute and has mission famous burgers. So for the first time in 16 months I ordered and ate a hamburger. It lived up to its reputation.



 

The elders had a baptism this week of a woman and her son that was really neat. They met the woman through tracting and she is in her mid 50's. A little over a year ago her husband suffered from a stroke and is now bed ridden and can hardly speak. Our bishop has a car and the morning of their baptism he went and picked up this good woman, her son, and her husband so that he could witness their baptism. I watched this woman lovingly watch over her husband; lovingly hold his hand even though there was no visible response or reaction. I realized that this woman’s diligence serving her husband may seem unproductive but in the grand scheme of things her dedication will make all the difference.

President Eyring reminds us:

“We are to learn our duty from the Lord, and then we are to act in all diligence, never being lazy or slothful. The pattern is simple but not easy to follow. We are so easily distracted. Studying the daily news can appear more interesting than the priesthood lesson manual. Sitting down to rest can be more attractive than making appointments to visit those who need our priesthood service.

When I find myself drawn away from my priesthood duties by other interests and when my body begs for rest, I give myself this rallying cry: “Remember Him.” The Lord is our perfect example of diligence in priesthood service. He is our captain. He called us. He goes before us. He chose us to follow Him and to bring others with us.”

I feel I am like this woman. I don’t have a husband to look after or a son, but I have duties to attend to each day here in the mission. Sometimes these things seem routine because I have done them every day for 16 months but I hope that they will make a difference in the long run. When it is really hot outside or investigators don’t seem to be progressing, I remember President Eyrings’ words, "I give myself this rallying cry: remember Him."

Christ is the reason we are here. I am grateful that it is his name that I get to wear every day and it is in Him that we place our faith.

 
Have a wonderful week. You are in my prayers always.
nagmamahal from the pines,

sister meish

Note from Meisha's Companion: 
Thanks mom and dad Christensen :) I'm very grateful for the opportunity that heavenly father has given me to be Sister Christensen's companion. We will do our best in this work ..work..work..work.... .. :)
Thank you for the package that Sister Christensen received.  She was really happy and me too..  :) she shared her chocolates and ctr ring thanks a lot for it.. :)  We really had fun in her birthday and also eating those chocolates :) I know she's really happy .. Being with Sister Christensen is a blessing.  She's a very faithful, strong, energetic, courageous, and a happy sister.
We have a lot of happy moments while doing our work here in the field and also helping other sister missionaries in this work. Thank you so much.
I will cherish all of these moments.. :)
Love,
Sister Bersola

No comments:

Post a Comment