Monday, October 14, 2013

Bagyo in Daet



Hi fam!

Well, I know this is old news to all of you because conference was a whole week ago but we had a great conference weekend. I love listening to those loving familiar voices.  I can’t believe that it was a year ago that I was sitting in a small chapel in Ligao, watching conference for the first time, still in training and still feeling a little homesick as the pictures of Salt Lake came up  - it is amazing how much has happened in just a few short 12 months.  Time doesn’t ever stop moving; I think that it speeds up.

We had a bagyo (or typhoon) come to town on Friday and it was some of the strongest rains I have seen yet. The Streets were flooding and the wind was howling. We weren’t the main target of the storm though thankfully.  On Friday we were trapped in our apartment for a few hours because of the rain but by about 6 p.m. the rain calmed to normal Pinoy weather and we were able to work.  I was thinking how every mission has its own weather problems. Some are freezing cold. Some are so hot. Ours depends on the day it is either pouring rain or really hot. But, no matter where we are we can use the weather that as an excuse not to work or we can dig in deep like the pioneers and push through.   

On Saturday we were able to watch the Saturday sessions of conference but the Bagyo still had lingering effects. The entire day the was power cutting in and out.  So some of the talks we only heard a few words.  I think my favorite lines were:
"Hope is never lost.  If the bitter cup does not pass, drink it and be strong."

"Doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith."
"Between now and Christmas, millions can feel the saviors love (if we all shared the gospel with just one person). What a wonderful gift to the savior." I think this one struck me hard because that is all I have left out here on my island. I want to do all I can to be a part of sharing to the millions. 

I enjoyed how President Monson talked about suffering and sadness being universal but that as we are tested and survive in the trials of our life - we grow stronger. Through our trials we become different and better than what we were.


I got an exciting letter from Crisanto this week! He is working on his mission papers!! I am so, so proud of him and can’t wait for him to be able to share his light and experiences with others. 
Also a young girl we met tracting in Goa has a date to be baptized and one of our other investigators gets baptized on Friday! I miss my friends in Goa but am so happy to hear of their progression and joy in the gospel. It is amazing how each person you meet out here changes you a little and you take a piece of them with you. 

My clothes have endured pretty well over the last 16 months but they are starting to surrender.  Last week we were walking and my skirt snagged on a Tricey and got a nice big rip through it.  Luckily one of our members is a wizard on the sewing machine and got it all patched up. 


 
 

Well, I love you all so much and hope you have a wonderful week.  Speen - still dying about the choir photo. That entire session I was laughing thinking of the humor of my little brother infecting a small Mexican town. 
Nagmamahal,

Sister Meish

 

No comments:

Post a Comment