Monday, October 28, 2013

Rice Fields - Ready to Harvest

Exchanges

You were probably not aware that Filipinos love Avril Lavigne. We have been sitting in a small computer shop listening to really loud Avril music for the past hour and half haha. I think the owner of the computer shop knows every word. Impressive.



Hello dear family!!! How are you all doing? I loved the pics of the Webster Halloween party! Thank you adults for still letting the child in you come and dress up, I hope that never ends.  I am still trying to figure out who is in the monkey suit! It is Halloween once again, what a wonderful time of the year.  We have curfew almost every day this week -twice because of elections and twice for ‘araw ng patay’ or day of the dead.  On October 31st it is all saints day and then Nov 1st is day of the dead.  At midnight on the 31st everyone goes to the grave yards and they party hard! We will be party-partying in our apartment the entire evening.  I think I am going to steal sister b’s name tag and be her for Halloween! None of my house mates have ever carved pumpkins so I think we are going to buy squash and carve them.



We had a mission tour this week which basically was a zone conference combined with 3 other zones because Elder Ardern from the area presidency came.  We were in the area for three days, one for the conference and then 2 other days for exchanges.  I am going to be adept at sleeping on the floor with only a small sheet and no pillow. I think I am going to want to do a lot of time camping when I get back. The morning before the conference we had a small gathering for mission leadership training with Elder Ardern. We were fortunate to be with him in such a small setting.  One thing that he said that has really stuck with me is that the Lord is easy to please but hard to satisfy.  I think this is true. I know that the Lord is so proud of us when we do our best and try our hardest but one round isn’t enough.  We have to keep pushing through, the enduring to the end part of our baptismal covenant is so vital. We have to do our very best each day.  And then after we have done our best and even be willing to say, “Lord, give me something else.” It was a great conference and it was a spiritual feast. 



We had a baptism on Saturday! It was for a 10 year old boy who is from a part member family and has slight autism.  He is so darling. Every time we go to teach him before we start to teach he quizzes us on pokeymon and tells us all the secrets to temple run. He also has a lot of questions similar to what Spence would ask when he was little… like “how tall was Jesus?”  But he is smart and when he bore his testimony after his baptism he just recited all the articles of faith and then sat down! Priceless!

Because we spend so much time on long bus rides we buy semi healthy snacks that are so delicious.  Our treats this week were dried banana chips and quail eggs.  But not together. There are people that walk through the isles of the bus and sell peanuts and quail eggs and candy. We are their favorite customers. 


Well bug sorry about the state championship - but I’m pretty proud of ya kiddo! You are a rockstar!! Congrats on a great season!

Thanks for all of your emails and support and love.  I feel so grateful for this experience.  Often, when we are on exchanges the sisters ask me when it gets easier. They will ask me about home sickness and about not comparing your success to others.  I tell them that it never gets easy, but it is amazing the miracles we can see every day.  The lord’s hand truly is in this work and I encourage them to keep a miracle journal; that way the miracles become more obvious.  I am so grateful for the gospel, for the direction it gives me and who I want to be because of the gospel.  I love you all dearly and hope you have a wonderful week.



Love from the pines,

Sister Meish


Rice Fields Ready for Harvest
 

No comments:

Post a Comment